Bushells Coffee and Chicory Essence is a thick, rich coffee flavoured syrup made from coffee beans and mixed with caramel and chicory to create a sweet coffee syrup that’s perfect for drinks, cocktails and desserts just like this Latte Coffee Tart. Add this iconic Australian product to your cooking cooking repertoire today!
Serves: 10Prep Time: 20 minutes + 2¼ hours to chill
Cook Time:1 hour
Make ahead: Bake this tart up to 2 days ahead. Cover, then refrigerate.
What You’ll Need
- 1¾ cups plain flour2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted, plus extra, to dust
- 150g cold butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar, plus extra, to dust
- 1 egg yolk, plus 8 extra
- 1-2 tablespoons chilled water
- 300ml thickened cream
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons Bushells Coffee & Chicory Essence
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup chocolate-coated coffee beans, chopped
- Process flour, cocoa powder, butter and icing sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles crumbs. Add egg yolk and water; process until dough just comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth. Shape into a disc; wrap in plastic food wrap. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Roll out pastry between sheets of baking paper to a 25cm round, about 5mm thick. Line a 22cm (base measurement) round fluted tart pan with removable base with pastry. Trim edge. Line pastry with baking paper. Cover base with dried beans, rice or pie weights. Place tart pan on an oven tray. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights and paper. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until just coloured. Reduce oven temperature to 160°C/140°C fan-forced.
- Meanwhile, heat cream, milk and cinnamon in a saucepan over moderate heat until mixture just comes to the boil. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon stick. Stir in essence. Whisk extra egg yolks and caster sugar in a heatproof bowl until pale and creamy. Stir in milk mixture until combined.
- Pour egg mixture into pastry shell. Bake for 40 minutes or until just set at centre. Remove from oven. Cool in pan. Chill for 2 hours or until firm. Remove from pan. Dust with extra cocoa powder and extra icing sugar. Serve topped with coffee beans.
Photo credit http://www.foodtolove.com.au/